Monday, December 6, 2010

The Lord is so merciful to show me the things in my life that are often placed above Him. He is so good to show me the things of this world that I long after, the people that I seek to please. I was again reminded of this today while reading in Job. Chapter 1 and the Lord is already showing me my heart. We find Job visited by a messenger in v. 14 who comes to tell him that his oxen, donkeys and servants have been struck down. And before this messenger could finish another comes to bring bad news. Then another and another...

In a few short moments, Job realizes that he has lost Everything

His response:
" The Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshipped. And he said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked shall I return. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.' In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong." 1:20-22

How often is this my attitude? Ouch. Its very rare. Things, people are taken away and my immediate response is...why. It hasn't been until recently that I have been able to see the gift that the Lord gave in taking certain things away. It isnt until recently that I've been able to worship Him for that. Job knew. He knew that all of his animals, all of his children, they were nothing compared to having God. All was taken away but He worshipped because He still had the Lord.

This is something that I have been praying about recently. We talk about finding our contentment in Christ, but if all we have, if all those we love were taken away, what would our response look like?

Lord, please strengthen me. Please let me see the folly in my love for the things of this world; in the satisfaction that I seek in things other than You and Your Word. Those things burn up when tested by flame, but O Lord, you are forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment